Sunday, October 29, 2006

Ministry Fair

We went to the fair again this weekend. No, not our state fair, an even better one! Our church has an annual "ministry fair" where there are dozens of tables all around the hallways, highlighting the many different ministries and mission teams you can be a part of. Luke and I were responsible for the Ghana table and the Awana table. After we set up our tables I took some time to look over the various other displays around the church. As I strolled from table to table, I thought about how it was called a "fair," and mentally compared this particular "fair" to the fair we went to a couple of weeks ago.


Like the state fair, at the ministry fair you can choose something that could take you on quite a ride! The ministries and teams we've been a part of have caused an adrenaline rush greater than any roller coaster I've ever been on. In my experience, involvement in ministry and missions has been more filling than any corny dog or funnel cake could ever be. I can understand more and more the words of Jesus when He said, "My food is to do the will of Him Who sent me." As I reflected on our recent trip to the fair, my mind automatically thought about the cost involved. It's not cheap! Well, there is a price, a personal cost, associated with serving in ministry. But, unlike the junk food, short-lived exhibits, and rattle-trap rides at the state fair... it's worth it. Whatever the price. The benefit of serving Christ is worth exceedingly more than I could ever calculate my cost to be. As I looked at all of the many, many opportunities I thought about how, just like at our huge Texas State Fair, you can't do it all. And that's as it should be!

I love our church. It is a wonderful place to serve! This weekend I grabbed a couple of brochures to tuck into my prayer journal to pray about future ministry opportunties and the kids both got some ministry ideas as well, which I love. It was a great weekend.

No comments: