Monday, October 20, 2008

Monday's Menu


"...and yet He did not leave Himself without witness, in that He did good and gave you rains from heaven and fruitful seasons, satisfying your hearts with food and gladness."
Acts 14:17

Happy Monday! Thanks so much for stopping by! I didn't take the time to post my menu last week, but I've enjoyed settling back into a routine now that we've been back from Ethiopia a month. I know! It's hard to believe it's been a month! Our sweet new son is truly thriving and it feels like he's always been here with us. Last time I posted a "Menu Plan Monday" I wrote that he eats everything... and at that point, that was true. However, in the past couple of weeks he has begun showing definite preferences. He is quick to let me know if he doesn't like something. Actually, I am very happy with this development because it shows that he feels comfortable enough with me to tell me that. It shows that he's not just trying to please me, and that he feels secure. It's kind of funny the way he tells me. He'll say, "Mommy, whaht eez zees?" (What is this? - pointing to a particular food item.) Then he'll raise his pointer finger like a "tsk-tsk" sign and simply say, "No." Sometimes it's simply, "Zees?" (pointing) "No." It's been hard to predict what he'll like. I just knew he would LOVE Pizza Pancakes, as it is sort of like dipping injera (Ethiopian bread) into pizza sauce (both of which he loves) and has Italian seasoning in it (because he's all about anything Italian.) But, those got a "Zees, no." So did Bar-b-cups. And Hawaiian Meatballs. But, he "big-big-loves" (his words) loves all things "doro" (chicken) so Ritzy Chicken was a hit, as well as Chicken Pesto Paninis. He loves all things pasta, too, and I finally figured out how to make his favorite thing: fried pasta with fried egg. He was so happy! He also likes Baked Potato soup, which is easy. One thing he particularly liked last week was pumpkin bread, except that he confuses it with the word "popcorn." I never realized how similar those words are!

So, on with our menu this week. I know we've been back for several weeks, but honestly, I still feel scattered. (I told you, it takes me awhile!) I knew I would feel this way, so when I planned for October I planned things that I could cook with my eyes closed. I'm spending the next few weeks focusing on more healthful recipes, but for now I'm just trying to get dinner on the table and stay sane. :)

Monday: Quick Cheeseburger Bake
Tuesday: pasta, roasted carrots, green beans, spinach salad, bread
Wednesday: Crock Pot Ham and Scalloped Potatoes, green peas, salad
Thursday: Southwestern Pumpkin Soup, crusty bread, salad
Friday: out-- between "High School Musical 3" and our church's Fall Festival... fun!

To see more menus or to share yours, visit Laura at Orgjunkie.com.

Have a yummy week!

5 comments:

Tricia said...

We have been back for 2 years and I'm still trying to stay sane! LOL

Thanks for loving on us last week!!

Jill said...

The pumpkin soup sounds yummy. I will have to try this next week.

Joni said...

Love reading your Minte stories!

Susanne said...

Good for him for giving things a try though!

Cheryl Read said...

I really enjoy reading about your new experiences with your delightful son. Blessings, Cheryl