Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thankful Thursday: Matthew 6


"How great is Your goodness,
Which You have stored up for those who fear You,
Which You have wrought for those who take refuge in You..."
Psalm 31:10

Happy Thursday! I hope you are having a good week!

I have loved my time in God's Word this week. Following the method I shared this past summer, I am now in the book of Matthew and spent this week marking chapter 6. As I read this chapter, the first thing I marked were the verses that describe God. (I always look first for what a passage tells me about God before moving on to what it says concerning me.) So, this week I've been reflecting on and being so very thankful for these truths about our unchanging God.

I'm thankful that...
  • God is my Father. In this chapter Jesus repeatedly refers to Him as "your Father." I'm so glad He emphasizes that. I need to remember that.
  • He is in heaven. (v. 1) He is in His rightful place. He is on His throne.
  • He sees what is done in secret (v. 4) There is such freedom in knowing that He knows. He knows.
  • He will reward me (v. 4) He will. I need not concern myself with the form that reward will take, but I can know that it is coming.
  • He knows what I need before I ask Him. (v. 8) Not just what I want but what I truly need.
  • He will forgive me (v. 14). He enables me to forgive others and offers that blessed forgiveness to me. What a thought!
  • He is in secret (v. 18). His word says not only that He sees what is done in secret, but that He is in secret. He is there.
  • He clothes the grass of the field (v. 30) and how that reminds me that He will clothe me as well.
  • He knows that I need all "these things" (v. 32) He knows my true needs and is poised to meet them each day.

I have found such peace, stability and quietness of mind throughout each day when I stop and periodically focus on what is true about God. He never changes, and for that I am most thankful.

To read more Thankful Thursday posts or to link your own, visit Laurel Wreath, our sweet hostess for today. Have a terrific Thursday!




13 comments:

Mindy said...

This is awesome !!!! Thanks for sharing it with me....!!!!
In HIS love -
Mindy

Susie said...

What a beautiful post. "He knows". I love that! I also have to focus on what is true, and who God is to help with this life we live in each day.

Susan said...

Happy TT Cyndi,

I always love coming to your BEAUTIFUL blog!

Thanks for sharing how you are studying the word, that is really neat.

Have a blessed day!

Susan

PS My best friend has your name, but spells it like this Cyndy! (close)

Two Peas In a Pod said...

Wow, such comforting words. What a moving thankful thursday!
Kyla

Linda said...

What a precious reminder Cyndi. It is who He is and the fact that He never changes that is the firm foundation under my feet. Without that I simply could not stand.

Susannah said...

I enjoyed reading this list. I especially like v. 18 "He is in secret." For some reason, it's comforting to know the Lord sees all and from a mysterious place. :~D

Susanne said...

Thanks so much for sharing this with us, Cyndi! You truly blessed me today with your list of thankfuls. What an AWESOME GOD we serve!! Have a wonderful day!!

Lori said...

I was just reading Matthew this morning (Christ's birth). Your list blesses me. Have a great day.

Unknown said...

I have found such peace, stability and quietness of mind throughout each day when I stop and periodically focus on what is true about God. AWESOME! Thank you for this post.

Happy TT.

http://unequalmarriage.typepad.com/

Cheryl said...

You have such a beautiful blog. I have really enjoyed my visit here today. Thanks for the TT post. God Bless!

Anonymous said...

What a great post. I just finished a Precept Bible Study from "The Sermon on the Mount" so that passage is very fresh to me. Thanks for sharing-- there is so much to be thankful for in His Word! You have a beautiful blog!

Blessings, Darcy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. I've been looking to do something new with my Bible reading for the new year. I think I may try this approach.

Sandy said...

Cyndi, thank you for reminding us that there is uch bounty for which to be thankful.

Sandy