Thursday, June 14, 2007

Cooking Together

One of the things summer means is... peaches! Yesterday, while his sister was at VBS, my son and I had some fun in the kitchen making a peach cobbler. I've always enjoyed cooking with my kids. I have such fun pictures of them, from toddlerhood, "helping" me in the kitchen. What that's turned into is... actual help! They have both become quite proficient in the kitchen. Now I find cooking together to be a great way to spend time with them while they are picking up some valuable "life skills," and we usually have some yummy results!

The recipe we used was a combination of this one and the one in my old faithful Better Homes and Gardens red plaid cookbook. We also used the crust recipe from the BH&G cookbook.




We started peeling, and I began in my usual way, with my paring knife. He grabbed the potato peeler and started in and it did a much better job without cutting away as much of the peach. Thanks for teaching me a new tip, son!


The BH&G recipe suggests cooking the peaches, which I wanted to do since ours weren't quite as ripe yet. We also added a bit of cinnamon as suggested in the first recipe.









Time to make the crust! You just can't be a southern cook if you haven't "cut in" some Crisco!




There's our bottom crust, carefully rolled out and placed in the bottom of about a 1 1/2 quart baking dish, ready for our cooked peaches.





I'm a pie crust person, so I wanted a top and bottom crust. (I found a recipe for a "triple crust peach cobbler" that I see in our future someday! Can't have enough crust!)



After he rolled it out, he was able to fold it over in two and then unfold it on top of the peaches. He tried his hand at "fluting" the edges. I think he did a great job!


And of course, one of my favorite snacks, pie crust strips! We did one pan plain, and one pan with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top. My grandmothers used to always make these with the leftover pie crust dough, so it tasted like childhood to me to snack on some baked pie crust. (Since you don't eat the pie or cobbler until after dinner... it makes the waiting easier!)


The final result. We had it after dinner with some Bluebell Homemade Vanilla ice cream. Everyone loved it. It tasted like summer ought to taste!


5 comments:

LeftCoastOnlooker said...

looks great! (even though I don't do peaches)

Jen and family said...

oh yummmy
jen at http://jenz.wordpress.co

Alycia said...

Looks like he is an aspiring chef!! Yummy!! Great job today!

Holly said...

OH. MY. GOSH!
A TRIPLE crust cobbler??!!??

Very sweet post, by the way.

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

This looks delicious and I love that your baby boy helped you make it!