Thursday, October 19, 2006

I'm still here!

In case you're checking in (as I have been told some of you are-yey!) I'm still here. I would say we've been "busy," but that makes our lives sound obligatory, perhaps mundane, or maybe even harried. Yes, our schedule is full, but so are our hearts. (That's what I used to say when I had little ones and someone- usually older- would say to me, "Boy, you sure have your hands full!" On a good day I'd say, "You should see how full my heart is!" Yes, I know that's syrup-y :)

We are having a wonderful October! When I get a chance I'm going to post some pictures of what we've been up to, but it's a chilly morning and I'm cozy on our couch with the camera and ISB cable w-a-a-ay out of arms' reach...

Last weekend we were privileged to be a part of Luke's sister Amy's wedding to our precious new brother-in-law, Randy. What a blessed and exciting time that was! And how fun it was to get dressed up in something beautiful and dance with my cute husband! I was going through pictures in our camera and realized that I didn't get any pictures of the bride and groom, but I saw my photographer-niece-with-her-cool-new-camera getting some great shots, so I'm going to see if she'll send me some. (Pssst- Maggie, if you're reading this, that's you!)

Tuesday we went to the State Fair. We saw some great shows, rode rides, and ate our way through the day- corny dogs, funnel cakes, a turkey leg, fried oreos and a fried snickers, tornado taters and onion strings... :::sigh:::: Wow, that looks gross now that I see it in print, but it sure was fun!

Yesterday Luke had a wonderful day of fishing with a guide at Lake Texoma. He hasn't done anything like that in years, and it was so good for him. It was a well-deserved break for all who went, I'm sure.

We've been plowing through our school work. Both of the kids are working SO hard this year, doing whatever is asked of them with great attitudes. Some days I ask more of them than others, but the work is more consistent and the teacher-freak-outs (TFO's) are way less frequent. (TFO's usually involve me looking at my plans, realizing how far "behind" we are and racing around proclaiming it to them while cranking more stuff their way.) Oh, how they bear with me... and oh, how they always manage to stay on track, which is why I put the word behind in quotations.

God has been teaching me so much. Just this morning in Romans 6, I was reminded afresh of just what was accomplished through the work of Christ when he "died to sin once, for all," and the implications for my daily life in the fact that "the life He lives, He lived to God." (verse 10) What a glorious thought in verse 9- "knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him." (Or me!) "Even so, consider yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus." (v. 11) In John Piper's message , he said, "The death of Christ has the power in the present to liberate us from sin by securing for us a hope that we will be raised from the dead, and thus freeing us from fear, to be the most radical kinds of sin-denying, life-laying-down people imaginable."

I wrote in my prayer journal this morning, "Thank You for dying once for all. Thank You for the the strength that brings into my today and the bright hope it gives my tomorrow. The hope of resurrection! Great is Your faithfulness indeed! Why do I live as though I have forgotten this profound truth? Oh, keep me aware. Remind me when I glance at a cross, partake of the Lord's Supper, or have fleeting (or lingering) thoughts about death. This is huge. By that amazing power- the power that conquered death and at this very moment indwells me- help me to no longer let sin reign in even the smallest part of me. Cleanse this temple, Lord Jesus. Overturn tables, driving out any greed or wrong motives. Oh, how I want to be holy as You are holy. Thank You that I am under grace. Thank You for the forgiveness and cleansing You offer each and every day. How I need it to wash over and through me. To free me. From glory unto glory. So that I may walk in newness of life, to the glory of the Father. Amen."

Have a wonderful Thursday!

No comments: