Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Works-for-me-Wednesday: Highlighting Footnotes

This post was inspired by these fun new retractable highlighters I bought last night. I was so excited, I couldn't wait to open them this morning and... highlight stuff! Woo-hoo!

Perhaps it's weird, but I have a thing for highlighting when I read. That's why audio books are practically excruciating for me unless they are fiction. I desperately need. to. highlight. My Bible looks like it might be a Rainbow Study Bible, but no, it's just all my intellectual artwork.

One year for my birthday a good friend of mine gave me some of these, which combine two of my favorite things: highlighters and post-it notes (which I'm all about for using for bookmarks, since they don't fall out when you toss your book into your tote or purse) and these are huge for me in using my prayer Bible.

Anyway, this post isn't simply about how highlighters "work for me,"though in general they are just about one of my favorite things on the planet. What WORKS FOR ME besides highlighting any text I can reach, is highlighting footnotes in a book.

A few years ago as I was reading I kept noticing that many times when I would highlight a particular meaningful passage it would be footnoted. I started flipping to the back and highlighting the corresponding footnote. When I'm finished with a book, I'll scan the footnotes and see if a particular author or original source was repeatedly highlighted and I'll possibly pick up that book or author. (If they are older books, then frequently I'll find them on Amazon for like a penny or something.) Years ago this is how I found out how much I loved Amy Carmichael- from references to her and quotes of hers in Elisabeth Elliot books. I've also gotten some wonderful Bible study tools because I've highlighted the sources some of my favorite Bible study authors have quoted. This has been helpful for me because I've been able to get right to the source and read some of the authors who are influencing some of the authors who are influencing me.


For more great tips, visit Rocks In My Dryer. Highlight something fun today! :)

4 comments:

Janis Rodgers said...

Okay, I didn't know that they had highlighters WITH post-it-notes. That excites me! I am going to go find some. I am in LOVE with highlighters for Bible study and to add post-it notes just makes me giddy! Too weird that I am like that, huh? Blessings, Cyndi!

Unknown said...

Great idea! I am listening to a non-fiction audio book right now, and it is a little hard for me not to be able to mark interesting passages.

LeftCoastOnlooker said...

fantastic idea! you're a genius.
I always check the footnotes, but I never thought about highlighting them, though I often make notes in them.
thx for the tip

Dianne said...

Hi Cyndi - thanks for visiting my blog. And this is a great tip - like you, I read footnotes, as well as the endnotes and bibliographies in the back. Great idea to highlight them as I read. And like you, I often find one author provides a springboard to another great one.