Thursday, January 24, 2008
Thursday Thirteen: Glorifying God
I haven't done this in awhile, and I've been feeling "bloggy" this week, so I thought I'd do a Thursday 13!
I've been s-l-o-w-l-y reading and working my way through Martha Peace's book Attitudes of a Transformed Heart. I say slowly because it's a lot to think about and I've been completing all of the study questions. I highly, highly recommend this book. It is steeped in Scripture and solid theology. God is truly using this book to transform my heart! This week I studied ways to glorify God.
According to Peace, here are 13 Biblical Ways to Glorify God ("call attention to His worth and to proclaim His excellencies.")
1. Aim your life exclusively at God's glory.
* Are you content to be outshined by others as long as God is glorified?
*Are you hurt when God and His Word are dishonored?
2. Worship the God of Glory.
*Do you think about the words of hymns and truly sing them to the Lord?
3. Sincerely confess your sins.
* Do you find yourself sinning less and less, but being more and more grieved over sins you do commit?
* Do you exalt God by taking sin against Him seriously?
4. Believe in Him for salvation and throughout your life.
*Do you trust God with your life and your loved ones?
*Do you believe that He is good?
5. Give God glory through bearing fruit for Him.
*Is doing what God wants you to do more important than what you want to do?
*Are you just as obedient (to God) at home as you are in public?
6. Cultivate grateful contentment wherever God has placed you.
*Do you believe that God is the only one who can know how you can glorify Him the most?
7. Grow spiritually.
*Does your life show others what God's power can do?
*Would unbelievers who know you say that you are changing?
8. Stand up for God's truth.
*Do you speak up regarding God's truth or are you like the person who says, "I have faith, but it is private?"
*When you do confront error, is it done in love with a gentle tone of voice or is it done in sinful pride to prove that you are right?
9. Cultivate zeal for his name. Zeal is a mixture of love and anger- an intense love for God and anger at sin.
*Would people say of you, "She is sincere in her faith?"
*Do you pray and ask God to grant people repentance because you want Him to be glorified in their lives?
10. Witness to the lost.
*Can you give (at a moment's notice) a good, clear, G0d-honoring gospel presentation? Can you readily find verses?
11. Be willing to suffer or die for God.
*Would you consider it a privilege to be used for His glory through suffering?
12. Direct all credit given to us on to God.
*When someone praises you or thanks you do you think, "Lord, this is really a sacrifice of praise to you. You deserve all the credit and glory for this gift or talent you gave me?"
*Do you realize that apart from God, you can do nothing? That any ability you have to work and earn money, to think and plan, to help others, or live another day is a gift from God?
*Do you realize that the basis for all petitions to God is His glory?
*Do you pray that God will be glorified by your every thought, word, and deed?