Friday, July 14, 2006

Birthdays

Ten years ago this summer, I had 2 month old baby boy. His sister was puzzled, because I had told her she would have a baby brother to play with and when she met him it was clear he couldn't play with anyone! A week ago today, that 10-years-and-almost-2-months-old boy ran all over a water park playing, celebrating his belated birthday (as well as his newfound love of water slides) with his buddies. His actual birthday was the weekend his sister left for China, so that week we had a family get-together that was a combination "Bon Voyage/ Happy Birthday" party. We don't do the birthday party thing every year, but he knew when he turned the big 1-0 he'd have a party, so he patiently waited the additional 7 weeks after his birthday for his sister to get home and his mom to get her head back on straight. (Actually, the former has happened, and we're still waiting on the latter!) Besides, we all know that Jesus wasn't actually born on December 25. It's okay to celebrate your birthday on another day! Thank you for your patience, my precious son, evidence of the fruit of the Holy Spirit in you.

Happy belated birthday!


Five years ago, this summer, we had a 7 year old little girl beginning her walk with the Lord. We lived in a tiny apartment while our current house was being built. I can still picture Luke and I sitting on that green and white striped couch with our little Bethany, talking and praying with her as her young mind was grappling with the issue of sin and the price Jesus paid for her on the cross. ("I'll never know... how much it cost... to see my sin... upon that cross...") That summer, I prayed that she would follow Jesus anywhere, everywhere, with total abandon. I asked Him to take her, set her apart, and to mold her into a young woman after His own heart. As I type this 5 years later, I'm looking across the room at a girl-turning-young-lady, quietly reading a book (who has no idea that her mother is staring at her and blogging about her!) I am reminded that she has followed Him to distant lands and has prayed with others that same prayer that her Daddy and I prayed with her. How she shares the Father's heart for the nations! Looking at her at this moment, her hair still wet from her shower, I am reminded of how precious she looked to me 5 years ago this very night, her hair wet from her baptism. What a special, God-given memory! When she was little, she asked me why her name was "Bethany." I told her I loved that name because Jesus went to the town of Bethany to spend time with some of His best friends. Bethany was a special place to Jesus. The first time I told her that, a big grin spread across her face! Oh, sweet girl, Jesus still loves to go to Bethany. And I pray that Bethany will always abide in Him.

Happy spiritual birthday!


Oh, Ancient of Days, thank You that ever since "there was morning and evening, the first day" You have ordained that each day would be distinct, and some would be special. During Your time here on earth You celebrated alongside others, entering into their joy. How we want You in the midst of our celebrations! May the special days on our calendars always point to You, Who makes each new day for our rejoicing and gladness, and for Your glory. Amen.

No comments: