Monday, July 03, 2006

An Interesting Study

This summer I am enjoying Beth Moore's new Bible study on Daniel. It has been a thought-provoking look not only at the life of Daniel, but an interesting comparison between the culture we are living in here in America and the ancient culture of Babylon. The quote that cracked me up today was, "In our own Babylon, some of us are wrapped up in such luxury, we think a chemical peel is a fiery trial."

There have been times in my life when I've been so caught up in the abundance that surrounds me and the luxuries that I enjoy, I have allowed myself to be cheated out of true prosperity. Oh, may that never be so for my children! A few weeks ago, I stopped praying that Bethany wouldn't get homesick. Not out of some selfish desire for her to miss us (for I know she did) but so that if she did, she would have the experience of letting Jesus fill that void for her. I remember when the thought first occurred to me as I was praying for her that day. It was a ground-breaking thought for me. It was as if I was setting God free to allow in her life whatever would draw her closer to Him. (As if He really needs my permission!) I really don't want anyone I love to have difficulties, fears, insecurities or illnesses. But it has been during those very moments in my own life that I have learned how to draw close to Jesus and have experienced an abundance of His presence in a way that an abundance of ease, health, courage and security would not have afforded. I wouldn't trade for those times! I want everyone that I love to experience the fullness of His presence. To feel the "strength God provides." (I Peter 4:11)

Another quote I read this morning has been on my mind all day. "You and I naturally want the best for our loved ones. We pray for them to excel, to win, to succeed, to prosper, to be kept from difficulty and certainly pain. Yet, if God answered our every prayer for their ease, could they handle it?" Can I?

Something to thing about.

No comments: