Sunday, July 02, 2006

Time for a Change

A couple of weeks ago a friend and I were discussing church. We were sharing honestly with each other that we were feeling "blah" about it lately, and wondering aloud what might be the cause of it. I was very glad for that discussion and for her wise insight, and went home and prayed about it. No, things aren't perfect. (At any church!) I decided that I couldn't change the things we disussed, however valid our observations may be. Moreover, I know without a doubt that we are called to worship and serve exactly where we are. God has affirmed to me over and over again that this is the church where He would have our family, and I am thankful in countless ways for that precious body of believers. So, I began working on the only thing I could change... my own attitude. I invited the only One Who can make true and lasting changes in my heart to begin to do so. For the past two weeks I have prayed before the services, asking God to prepare me for the pastor's message and open my heart to what His Word would say to me. (As Os Guiness would pray at our conference in May, "Lord, open Your Word to our hearts and our hearts to Your Word.") During worship I have not only sung about Him but to Him. I have even momentarily stopped singing (rare for me!) and bowed my head, silently praying the words to Him, because I felt it and meant it so deeply. I have taken copious notes in my newly-organized church notebook. I have reviewed the scripture references during my quiet times and have made changes in my life based on the principles they contained. You know what? These have been the best two weeks of church for me in a long time.

I think I see a connection...

No comments: