Saturday, December 02, 2006

Forecast: "Sunny-Cool"

"Arctic Blast." "Wicked Weather." "Bitter Blast." "The Big Chill."

The past week's weather for north Texas had scarcely been in the 10 day forecast when the local news stations had made their logos and catch-phrases for this Weather Event. News reporters (microphone in one hand, earpiece held in one ear with the other) delivered their new stories from standing outside, usually with a dramatic view of a bridge or an overpass over one shoulder. They started when it was still 77 degrees. We watched, breathlessly, the coverage of the sand trucks being filled (the sand truck drivers still wearing shorts, mind you.) I could't even get into the parking lot of Walmart Wednesday, because everyone was there Stocking Up On Supplies (so I went to a smaller mom-and-pop style grocery store and paid out the wazoo for bread and ground meat!)Then It hit. The temperature plummeted to well-below freezing and we enjoyed a nice dusting of snow/sleet/freezing rain.

Hey, I'm not complaining. I've seen the coverage of what's going on in the midwest, and I'll take our "wicked weather" over that, any day. But, I'm sure people from other parts of the country get a kick out of how we handle our Arctic Blasts. We made it just fine. It is cold, though! And I love it!

The past couple of days I have been preparing to teach a Sunday School class at a partner church in the metro area. Our church has partnered with a congregation made up of primarily African immigrants. It is one of my favorite places to worship! The people are so wise, so godly, SO knowledgeable about the Bible. The music is fabulous. The preaching is vibrant. Whenever I get in the mood to don one of my African dresses and go to a church where I can dance up to the offering plate, I go there. It's like taking a trip back to West Africa (only without the Tse-Tse flies buzzing around!)

A couple of weeks ago, the pastor there asked if someone would teach their youth (age 13-18) Sunday School class for the month of December, as their regular teacher would be out. The person who had been asked to find someone called my husband and asked if I might do it. My first thought was, "Heh. I don't think so." That age group intimidates me! I've met some of them, and they are a precious group of kids, but I question my ability to hold their interest for an hour. But, I've really been praying about our involvement in this church lately and I want to support the partnership, so I prayed, "Lord, if I'm to teach this class, then I'll need you to give me some ideas." Within 20 minutes, my mind was brimming with ideas! I went ahead and committed to teach the class, not quite sure which ideas I'd use, but confident that the Lord would help me narrow it down (after all, they were all His!) He has helped me narrow it down. I'll be teaching a 3 part series on "Gifts."

When Bethany was little, she called Sunday School, "Sunny-Cool." I always thought it was SO cute, and it's one of those mispronunciations I never corrected (but, of course, she figured it out all on her own!) I've thought of it all week as I've prepared my "Sunny-Cool" lesson.

So, it's been an "Arctic Blast" here this week, but the forecast for tomorrow (Sunday) morning is... Sunny-Cool!

1 comment:

Lori said...

Oh I am so excited to see how Sunday School goes. It sounds so exciting.

Are you send the cold weather my way??? My Mom in AZ promised me it is coming to Florida.

But I totally understand how "Texans/Floridians handle an Artic Blast".