Thursday, December 21, 2006

So little to do, so much time! Wait, reverse that...

I caught myself doing it yesterday. The thing I do when an event is getting closer. I'll be thinking of all the things I need to accomplish for the event when other things stealthily sneak onto the list,which have nothing to do with said event. Like, when I'm having a dinner party and I clean out the closet under the stairs and dust behind the T.V.'s. Like when I'm busy making our lesson plans for a new semester of school, and all of a sudden I must go get a new haircut. Or when I vacuum behind the piano in the dining room because someone is going to run a book by and stand in the entry way and chat. What does one thing have to do with the other?

Yesterday I realized it was December 20th... 4 days 'til Christmas, and only 3 'til Christmas Eve. Two days left until our first family gathering. NO, I haven't finished buying gifts. NO, I haven't wrapped what I do have. NO, I haven't baked everything I was going to bake. So, yesterday when I was experiencing the Prelude to my Pre-event Panic (which isn't Pretty) I was mentally going over checklist of things to do: "Okay, I need to get the ornaments for the kids to exchange at the party Thursday night, pick up some more stocking stuffers, make sure I have all of the brunch ingredients for Saturday morning, clean my closet, make sure the kids get to decorate their gingerbread houses, organize the pots and pans, make sure I put that Linens N Things coupon in my purse so I can run by there later, and oh-my-GOSH we still haven't seen 'The Navitity!' " Did you notice what sneaked in? My master closet is, indeed, a wreck. One does need to wear protective footwear when opening the pots and pans cabinet under my stove. We are most definitely planning to see the movie. But why, oh, why do I feel like I have to get those things done before Christmas Eve? Especially since we have the whole week between Christmas and New Year with nothing-in-particular going on?

At least I caught myself. That's growth. In previous years I would've been in my master closet today sorting clothes and putting new shelf liner in my kitchen cabinets. But today, I'm going to do what needs to be done for tonight, for Saturday's Christmas brunch with my family, for Christmas Eve. The closet can wait. Maybe I'll organize it next time we have someone over for dinner.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Oh my goodness, I thought I was the only one ho did this. I remember as a kid sitting down at my desk to do my homework, and immediately realizing that I couldn't bear to work with my room such a mess, or tha tI needed to clean out my desk drawers, or whatever. I always chalked it up to a strange form of procrastination.

Holly said...

Cyndi!

I do that, too!

Oh my gosh. I seriously have never realized I was doing this.

This post may change my life! Thanks!:)

Linda said...

I hadn't really thought about it, but you are right. I tend to do that too - and then rush through the things I must do because I wasted time getting sidetracked.
Well...have a wonderful Christmas Cyndi and enjoy the day!!! I'm so glad to have met you.