Monday, February 19, 2007

What about now?

I sat prayerfully on the couch with my calendar yesterday. I opened it up and thumbed through it, asking God when would be a good time to visit my sweet Grandmother (just 3 or so hours from here, in west TX) As the weeks progress, the calendar is dotted with babysitting jobs to which my hard-working daughter has committed, missions meetings, homeschool field trips, Awana ministry responsibilities, and classes. Something inside me kept whispering, "What about tomorrow?" So, "tomorrow" has turned into "today," and we're going. I love, love, LOVE visiting my grandmother. Time with her really feeds my soul. The idea of stealing a few days away for a visit had been brewing in my mind for a week or so, then I read a post over at Linda's about a sweet visit with her mother, and it so beautifully described how blessed I feel when I go see Grandmother. Thank you, Linda, for that inspiring post!

My daughter came in yesterday while I was getting ready for Awana and I told her we were leaving town. She said, "Mom, this... this just isn't like you. You like things so planned!" Well, we do have a plan. The plan is to throw some outfits in a bag, put a crate o' school in the car, and go. My sweet husband has topped the gas tank and washed the van. He'll be fine for a couple of days (and may actually enjoy the quiet!).

I may get to blog while we're gone. She may be 80- something but she's techno-savvy! I blogged from her computer last summer here and even composed my humble addition to Buttprints in the Sand during my visit there, LOL.

So, my "What about tomorrow?" has come. How about you? Is there someone you'd like to visit or call, but can't find the time? Prayerfully search your calendar. I bet it's in there!

What about tomorrow? What about now?

Love y'all!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful trip! I am sure it will be a blessing for all of you.

Susanne said...

What fun! Have a wonderful trip and visit with your Grandmother. I'm always so excited for people who still have their grandparents. Mine are no longer living and I only ever met them once in my life. I'm so happy for you.

Janis Rodgers said...

Have a good time! I am sure that your Grandmother will be so glad to see you! Blessings!

Hen Jen said...

really sweet! have a great visit, see you when you get back..on your blog, that is.

Linda said...

Thank you for your kind words Cyndi. Your posts inspire me daily. I'm so glad you decided to go. The other day, before I went to my Mom's I was thinking of all the things I needed to get done here. However, I thought about how it would feel if I had to look back on that day at some time in the future with regret. The older I get, the more I realize there is nothing more important than the people God has placed in our lives.
I'm praying you have a safe trip and a blessed time. I know you will.

Lori said...

How was your trip?

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

Have a great time and I look forward to hearing about your trip!

Tammy said...

I loved this...and you know what? My own mom turns 80 next month and I can't believe it! (I'm in my early 40's and my youngest child is just 4...we're a bit stretched in our generations!) My mom is also rather computer savvy and even has her own blog! I love the cherished times I have with her and that my little girls can spend with her, as well.

Also...your post reminded me of a book I'm currently reading called Gardenias for Breakfast. The main character had a wonderful relationship with her grandmother and takes her own daughter on a journey to meet her.

Anyway, I loved how your wrote this and it is a lesson for us all not to put things off. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Darlene Schacht said...

Have a great time. That sounds like an awesome idea--to just take off an go.