Monday, February 12, 2007

Menu Plan Monday



I'm inspired! I always read everyone's menu plans, and while mine are posted in my kitchen on the island I never post them here. I love to post my menu plans in the kitchen each week, even if it's "Leftovers" or "O.T.E." (out to eat), or my son's favorite: "YOYO" (You're On Your Own) night. It keeps me on track and lets everyone know what to look forward to. I'm sitting here surfin' blogs while waiting for our dinner to "ding!" in the oven and I just got inspired to post my first ever "Menu Plan Monday."

Here's what we've got cookin' at our house this week:

Monday: Chicken Pot Pie, fried okra

Tuesday: Out for burgers at a local burger joint where our Awana club high schoolers are having a mission trip fundraiser

Wednesday: Koko (Chicken) Congolaise and rice (recipe below) This is an African chicken dish that I found in my mom's church's cookbook that looks SO good, the ingredients remind me of our favorite west African peanut soup. (I thought it would be fun to have something African on Valentine's Day, there are so many people we love there.)

Thursday: (gymnastics night) Leftovers

Friday: Beef Enchiladas, guacamole, black beans

Saturday: Church night and O.T.E.

Sunday lunch: A beef casserole recipe I found, or maybe a roast, I haven't decided. (We always go to Taco Bell after Awana on Sunday night.)

(For desserts I usually keep a pan of brownies or a cake baked, a big bowl of banana pudding, or make a batch of cookies for the week. Currently we're munching on a batch of cookies. I also keep a bagged salad ready to pull out to put with dinner through the week.)

Koko (Chicken) Congolaise

1 chicken, cut up
2 T. oil
1 sm. onion, chopped
2-3 T. peanut butter
2 c. water
2 T. flour
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cilantro, chopped, to taste
2 splashes Tabasco sauce
Cooked rice

Brown the chicken in oil. Remove from the pan. Cook onion until soft. Meanwhile, mix the peanut butter with some of the water in a small bowl. Add flour to remaining water and mix well. Pour both mixtures into the pan and cook until smooth, adding water if necessary. Season to tase with spices. Return chicken to pan and simmer until tender. Serve with hot rice. Note: For "Bagara (Beef) Congolaise," substitute beef stew meat for the chicken. ~ from Chef Aleme- Adi, Congo

I'll let you know how it is!

For more menu plans, visit Organizing Junkie. Have a yummy week!

7 comments:

Annie said...

Have a great week.
blessings
Annie

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

I love the "YOYO" night.
I have always done menus as well.
I was inspired this week to join in with everyone else as well.

Linda said...

Good for you Cyndi. I never do that and probably should. I usually have a vague idea what the meals will be for the week. What I really need are some new recipes. Let me know how that one turns out!!

Lori said...

I be over for the brownies, heheh. I have been lax about dinner lately, but I actually got some ribs I am making him tonight. Tomorrow is church and he has a meeting at night so I will tell him it is his Valentine Dinner.

LeftCoastOnlooker said...

I tried the menu-thing, but my chef won't follow that plan ;) ok, dinner just ends up being whatever Jehu or I can find time to make. It's usually chicken, it's usually grilled, it's usually on a bed of lettuce, it's usually with broccoli (he might be getting tired of that).

Susanne said...

Oy and I didn't get my menu plan monday up this week. Good for you for doing it. That recipe sounds very interesting. Do let us know how it was!

Unknown said...

Yummy Chicken Pot Pie. You have a terrific menu plan. See you next week.